Thread: quilting guilds
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 05:16 AM
vtquilter

I'm surprised there is so much negative feedback about quilt guilds. I can't imagine quilting life without my large guild. I have belonged to two different large guilds and, at the same time, small quilting groups - each fulfills a different need. Each guild is different and each person takes/gives something different from the guild. You will never know until you check it out and give it a try for a time. My guilds have both had about 250 members (only half come to the meetings). The advantage of a large guild is that it can afford to bring in nationally known quilt teachers for the programs. Many people think show & tell is the best part. I love the programs - nationally known quilt teachers and even local quilt teachers - whatever. And I love being exposed to a diverse group of quilters. It took me a while to feel comfortable in a guild because it can be overwhelming, especially if you don't know anyone. So give it time. But the best way to become part of the guild is to participate in the activities and to volunteer on the committees. There are usually so many different types of activities that there is something for everyone. It will also give you a chance to meet new people who could perhaps join you in a small group.