Thread: Potato Bags
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 06:32 AM
Favorite Fabrics

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by Raggiemom
Well, I bought the pattern and tried to make one but for some reason haven't been able to figure out the directions. It's VERY frustrating because I know it's something really simple that I'm missing and I'm going to feel like an idiot if I ever figure it out. I had planned to give one to each of my sisters as part of their Christmas present. Hopefully I'll figure out what the problem is before next Christmas! I was told to use 100% cotton in everything. I didn't buy the Warm Tater but 100% cotton Warm and Natural. The clerk at Joann's told me it was the same thing.
Here's some info taken from the Warn Company's website:
"Potato bags are all the rage and The Warm Company has the right batting for all your microwave and kitchen projects! Warm Tater is 100% natural cotton that hasn’t been chemically treated making it ideal for cooking potatoes, corn, rolls and warming tortillas in the microwave. Warm Tater is heavy weight 100% natural cotton that acts as an insulator keeping the moisture inside for fresh, hot steamy potatoes & so much more! Use the free pattern featured on the bolt wrapper or package to create your own. This quick, simple & practical project makes a great gift item! Amaze your friends and treat yourself!

Warm Tater is not intended to be microwaved alone. It is not fire retardant or flame proof and The Warm Company does not make this claim. It may help to understand how a microwave works and subsequently how the properly completed potato bag aids in cooking potatoes, corn and warming tortillas and bread.

A microwave oven uses radio waves at a high frequency of around 2.5 gigahertz to cook food. Radio waves in this frequency are absorbed by water, fats and sugars. The radio waves set the sugar, water and fat molecules in atomic motion resulting in heat. The excited water, sugar and fat molecules heat evenly throughout the food. This is how the microwave cooks from the inside out vs. a conventional oven that cooks from the outside in. Warm Tater being 100% natural cotton fiber that has never been chemically treated will contain extremely limited amounts of water and fat molecules as it is a natural fiber (plant). Without the presence of a substantial amount of water, fat or sugar molecules, the radio waves will eventually find these small molecules in the Warm Tater generating heat quickly and prolonged exposure can lead to scorching followed shortly by ignition.

When used properly in a completed potato bag with a couple of potatoes, corn on the cob or tortillas the Warm Tater acts as an insulator keeping the moisture (as steam) inside the potato bag which aids in cooking / warming as the excited water and sugar molecules evenly heat the potato, corn or tortillas. Another consideration is that microwaves vary by manufacturer and by wattage requiring users to establish their own cooking times. An operating microwave should never be left unattended. It is always in your best interest to strictly adhere to your microwave manufacturer’s instructions for use.

For more discussion, please see the following links:
Warm Tater PDF
http://www.potatobakingbag.com/instructions.htm
http://www.thathomesite.com/forums/l...158483416.html
"