View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 09:51 AM
sgardner

Originally Posted by newbiequilter
I have consistently found that all FQ packs are not cut at 18 x 22 - squaring them up will result in loss of fabric. If you try to square up a fat eighth, I would think it would be more frustrating.
I just found this to be very true for a set of FQ fabrics that were packaged as singles- the actual measurements were all over the place! Worse yet, once I washed them and ironed them true to the grain, many were cut on an odd angle, making them even more frustrating to work with. The FQ I have bought from Keepsake Quilter were all nicely cut, but these ones were bought from a local fabric store and I have been highly, highly disappointed with them. Newbiequilter is right, I think with a smaller piece, these irritations would be even more noticeable. Another note, the pieces I bought separately packaged often have a color streak where they weren't printed perfectly, and those imperfections didn't show from the outside.

If you are looking to do applicae, fat 1/8ths might give you a good feel to see if you want to buy more of several of those pieces, but really watch where you buy these from to insure QUALITY of the cuts!