Old 12-10-2010, 03:16 PM
Rhonda
Power Poster

When my kids were young and we lived in the country we had a mama cat that decided to investigate a jar that had rolled away from the burn pile. It was not hot. She decided to investigate and got her head stuck. Nothing we did got her unstuck so my DH had to take a hammer and gently cracked the jar apart and off her head!! The things cats will get into!!

Another time we had rescued 5 fairly yound kittens when the mother was run over on the highway in front of our house. I had them in a box with a screen on top of it. Somehow they got out and we found them under the landing by the back door. Now this landing wasn't finished so the walls were no more than studs. But they weren't tamed and were too young to come when coaxed. We couldn't reach them so I got a 2 x 4 and stuck it down between the boards of the landing and used a string to draw their attention to get them to climb up the stud!! We grabbed each one as they reached the top! Needless to say we didn't use that same box again! LOL

At one time we had an aviary I and my DH and DD built for our 3 cockatiels and 2 parakeets. I made it 3 ft wide square by 6 ft tall. Unless you have easy to handle birds don't ever make the aviary taller than you are!!! LOL

Our cockatiels were no problem. They loved to be handled but the parakeets Ike and Midi(My Inlaws nicknames! LOL) were not very tameable. We had tried and tried and finally kind of gave up. So when we put them in the aviary I thought that would be their home. No problems with handling them right? Wrong! They were little houdinis! They kept getting out and when they did they figured out that if they landed on the top of that cage they could keep out of our reach!! Have you ever tried to catch a parakeet that runs across the top of a 6 ft x3 ft aviary??? LOL We ended up having to use towels to catch them when they flew.
Never again will I build an aviary that tall!! Or at least make the top so I can reach across it!! LOL

Got any stories of predicaments you want to share???