View Single Post
Old 12-10-2010, 05:06 PM
Bill'sBonBon

Originally Posted by mim
I do a lot of hand quilting in cooler weather and my nails are splitting again. I don't mean the ridges on the nails -- my doc told me yars ago that it meant getting older. I was not amused.

My nails split in layers which means that I have to keep them really short. Does anyone have any ideas -- I use hand lotions, etc. Perhaps there is one I haven't tried.

I found one in NZ that worked but haven't been able to find any here in the US
Thanks -- Mim
Hi Mim, My nails always have done this when I was a teen,young woman, middle aged. Then when I went thru. the CHANGE,Doc told me to use Calcium with vit. D. Been using it since I was in my late 50's. I am now 66. I really didn't notice my nails because like you I kept them cut short. They would just peel,sometimes on one corner, or middle. I could take my nail from opposite hand and peel the nail up.
Just before I moved to Ga. in 2005, Had been running from Hurricane Jeanne. I am a south FL. Transplant. I noticed my nails had grown LONG!!!! and they were hard. My nails havent peel off since then. I can let them grow long now but don't because they get in my way, not used to haveing them long. But anyways I do really believe it is the calcium and the vit. D is a necessity for the body to obsorb the calcium. I use Caltrate.
Now My nails are just long enough to see the white nail and that is the length I usually keep them. A lady that does manicures told me every night when I shower or Bath to use opposite thumb nail to push cuticles off nail bed. Hot water makes them soft and your thumb nail makes the best cuticle pusher there is. It Works no painful cuticles.
Good luck BillsBonBon