View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 03:31 AM
quilterella

Originally Posted by mim
I do a lot of hand quilting in cooler weather and my nails are splitting again. I don't mean the ridges on the nails -- my doc told me yars ago that it meant getting older. I was not amused.

My nails split in layers which means that I have to keep them really short. Does anyone have any ideas -- I use hand lotions, etc. Perhaps there is one I haven't tried.

I found one in NZ that worked but haven't been able to find any here in the US

Thanks -- Mim
Mine do the same thing...went to the Dr about something else and happened to mention my nails. The fabric absorbs moisture and the oils from our skin while we quilt, therefore dries out our skin and nails causing our nails to "shale" and our fingers to crack. What he recommended a was soak, you know, the home manicure parifain wax thing. Anyway, believe it or not, it actually works. My fingers only crack and nails shale now if I'm quilting for 3 or 4 straight days, 8-9 hrs a day and I haven't taken the time to do the wax treatment.
When we go to quilt shows, they don't want us to touch the quilts with our bare hands, and give us gloves, so naturally we have to think of this in reverse...the fabric absorbs the oils and moisture from our skin.