View Single Post
Old 12-11-2010, 03:53 PM
Tippy

OK.. now we're going to baste the seam allowances. I just use a fine quilting needle with a single thread and put a knot in one end. I'm going to start with the center circle and show you a little trick I like to use.. this one is slightly different from the petals.. so you'll learn 2 techniques. Since the center is a simple circle.. I cut a circle of moderately stiff cardboard the size I want the circle to end up. Now run a basting thread around the fabric circle you have cut out .. easy.. right.. OK.. now place the cardboard circle in the center and pull the thread to gather the fabric ring up so that it holds the cardboard in the center. then I take a little stitch to hold the gathers.. and at this point you can press it with a hot iron to reinforce the crease around the outside of the circle.
At this point you can remove the cardboard and the circle will usually hold it's shape. For the petals.. which aren't a smooth outer edge we'll progress a little differently.. for those you will fold the seam allowance to the wrong side of the fabric.. then run your basting stitches down the center of that 1/4". As you stitch along I finger press the crease along the outside of the pieces. Some folks will press these with an iron at this point.. but you don't have to. the basting will hold the fold.
After you have all of your pieces basted.. place them on the background and pin down to see how they look.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-141794.jpe   attachment-141795.jpe   attachment-141796.jpe