View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 03:39 AM
Edie

Originally Posted by decky
I'm in southern MN and we have had 10 1/2 inches of snow and it's still coming down, the wind has picked up so it is blowing snow around. My son works for the city and has been plowing all day, got off at 6:00 pm and will be back on the job at 2:00 am. Then he has to come to my house and do my sidewalk and driveway. My husband just had surgery for replacing his shoulder so he can't do it, in fact he can't do anything. I have done more shoveling the last couple of weeks than I have ever done.
My husband worked for the City of St. Paul as a Public Works Laborer for 35 years. They are so far behind here. I think back and remember we had a storm, not anything like this one, and it was Christmas Day and the City called my husband at his brother's house (we were celebrating a family Christmas Day) and told him the city was in a Snow Emergency and he had to come to work. That was when he was still getting laid off. So we packed up our stuff, our son, came home, he changed into his ever faithful Carrharts and RedWing Steel Toed boots and went to work. I don't think I saw him for 20 hours. God love our laborers, plowboys and crosswalk shovelers. One more thing, I thank God he is retired (not God, my husband). Holy cow, this storm has really gotten to me.
Don't let your husband shovel. The worst thing that can happen is that he will reinjure his shoulder. If it takes us longer than our husbands have the patience for, too bad. I don't rush. My husband has been injured on the job and there's a lot of stuff he can't do anymore, so I figure, hey, it may take longer, but I can do it. Take care, Miss Southern Minnesota. Edie