Old 12-12-2010, 06:36 PM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Really, that just goes to show we can't believe everything we read! I read that New Home didn't put letters in front of the serial numbers until 1930. Now, I am even more interested in the year of my machine. I will have to call that number on Monay and find out what year mine was made, although, I know it is not anywhere near the age of yours.

Nancy

I have the companies records as far as the serial numbers go and none of them have letters in front of them. So I dont now where they found the information from but I would like to see it.

Billy
Billy here is the site http://needlebar.org/nbwiki/index.ph...achine_Company

Go down about a 4th of the page to the title "Late 19th/20 Century New Home Machines."

The 3rd paragraph starts, "After the Free Sewing Machine Company took over New Home some models were sold under both the New Home and Free Name (as well as other badged names). New Home machines started to use letters in front of their serial numbers in about 1930. The letters represent the model type. This applied to all models, including those with Badged names."

This is a Needlebar site, so I believed them. My New Home starts with the letters NHR 114370, which I take means New Home Round bobbin?

Anyway, I just learned something about the "Free Sewing Machine Company" too. Although, I think the treadle I am inquiring about is way before the take over.

Nancy