View Single Post
Old 12-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Ramona Byrd

I know that bamboo can be grown in U.S. because I have seen it and also read that it is hard to control once it has been planted. Does the U.S. harvest and produce "cotton" from any bamboo grown in this country? Just curious?
----------------------------------------
As a nursery family member I can tell you about the growing part..I found out the hard way. There are about two kinds of Bamboo, ranging from a couple of inches to OMG!! The clumping kind is where you put out a cute little plant and watch it grow, and soon cute little ones come up all around Mamma and in their own turn have cute little bamboo shoots growing up around them.

Then there's the running kind. You put out a cute little plant and watch it grow, and soon, one day you hear your neighbor down the block screaming about where in h%#@ did that D!@# bamboo plant come from that is in his lawn. That is the time for you to quickly dig up YOUR bamboo, hurriedly throw it away so no one will know you had it and in a few days YOU can be the one screaming about that D!@# bamboo plant coming up in your front lawn!!

My DH made me put mine in a pot and built me a rolling flat to keep it on so it wouldn't root in our planter beds. Finally gave it to my brother who did not listen to any advice and would up with a bamboo forest that almost prevented any sight of his house from the road. Had to be poisoned to get rid of it.