View Single Post
Old 12-13-2010, 05:17 AM
ktmo815

Originally Posted by starshine
When I was younger I would put my treasured items away so they wouldn't get broken or ruined. I guess to me they were too precious for every day. Then I read an article by Erma Bombeck (after she was diagnosed with cancer) about how she saved the good china for special celebrations, and her special perfume bottle was still full because she was saving it for special occasions...etc. and she suggested we use our "special" things in our living every day so we could enjoy them rather than pass them on unused or hardly used after we die. So then I started useing things more often. But when my aunt died and one of the things I received was a bowl that she always put the mashed potatoes in for holiday and family gatherings (she took care of grandma so all the aunts & uncles would gather at grandma's house) when I was a child growing up. And I liked having it as a memento of that time. My husband and I were so far away from there that we had never spent a holiday there. When telling a friend I had gotten this bowl and a few other items, she said 'and use it often yourself-that's how memories are made. And if it breaks, you and your family will have memories of using it too. But what memories will your kids have of it and her if it is in the cupboard and never used?'. These lessons taught me to use my "special" things. When I have read on this board of quilters commenting someone is not quilt worthy because they put a quilt away on a shelf and never use it, I wonder how many of those folks are saving it because it is so special to them rather than not using it because they don't care to have it. If you find someone has put your quilt on a shelf or in a drawer, let them know you would like to see them use it so they can have memories.
I have to agree - my grandmother's favorite saying was "Who is more special than me?" - she used her special things & we, as kids, enjoyed them with her.