View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 11:58 AM
retired2pa

Originally Posted by tjradj
This question seems to come up regularly.
First of all, I would never buy a "refurbished" anything. My experience with this has not been good. Most are refurbished because they've been returned to the store so can't be sold as new. They've been returned for a reason!
Secondly, I'd rather spend the $100 on fabric!
Third, my $10 Walmart special is the best iron I've ever had. And at that price, if I have to replace it once a year even (due to calcium deposits from our water) so what?
IMHO
My old Proctor Silex (20 years!) just went out 2 weeks ago and I dreaded buying another iron because my little "cheapie" was the best iron I've had. I also have a Rowenta but it's my DH's iron...yes, he does all his own ironing. Bless his heart :) Anyway, I went to K-Mart and bought a Shark. I used it for a couple days and hated it! When it shuts off automatically, you can shake it to go back on and then it's at the lowest setting so you had to push the button for it to get to the cotton setting and then wait for it to heat up. I took it back and bought a Black and Decker Classic...you know...the old fashioned black one like your mother had. It's very heavy and the sole plate is "scratchy" and the steam holes are too big...they catch the fabric. I'm taking that one back, too. I don't shop WalMart too much but I had to go to pick up a couple things so I looked at irons. I ended up buying a "cheapie" for about $7.00. It's another Proctor Silex :) I used it yesterday and I LOVE it!! So, my conclusion is...price doesn't mean anything when it comes to irons!! Give me a cheap one any day :)