Thread: Style changing?
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 10:41 PM
dgmoby

Originally Posted by Hosta
Do you find your style of quilting changing such as fabric likes and dislikes? I started out loving the flowers on all my fabrics now I am really getting into batiks and arty quilting. But I find myself with all this flower fabric so I need to hurry and get it made into projects so I can move on to what I really want to do.
Me, too! I thought I was the only one! I have found my tastes changed so much that I didn't want to use my old fabrics. I decided to use up all my old fabrics, and not to buy too much more until I'd used up the majority. Two years later, I've taken my stash from a large walk-in closet w/22" deep shelving, jam packed, down to 2 tall rolling wire basket carts and one large shelf of backings. It's wonderful! Now I enjoy buying when I see something that will blend in with a future plan...but I don't think I'll ever stock up that much again. I've learned an expensive lesson :)

I find I like buying a new piece of fabric or two to use in a quilt very much. My tastes change, my DD's change, even my GK's have changed. And I do like to shop! I think this is what I was missing before, and I got to the point where I couldn't justify purchasing any more new fabrics when I had so much I needed to use. I wasn't sure I could do a 'no buy', but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Now, I have the flexibility to keep some basic/loved pieces stocked, and I supplement those with the newer fabrics as I plan for a new quilt. I truly enjoy collecting for a project.

I still have to deal with the UFO's that are of older tastes, and many of which were inherited. I may end up making some tough choices here too.

So far, my new plan is working great...but we'll see long term :)

Debbie in Austin