Old 12-15-2010, 08:55 PM
Gerbie

Billy ,those are the exact words my brother would tell people when they wanted him to do work for them. He is a retired Contract Welder and a super good one at that, and I am not just being prejudiced either. He started out on a pipeline welding and moved back home to Tx. and worked in the oil field for 40 + years until two years ago. He would have tool pushers on the drilling rigs and supervisors on the pipe lines in the oil field and any other work that needed to be done, wait on him to finish with one job until he could get to theirs. Many of the companies had their own company welders, but wouldn't use them if they could get my brother.He would probably still be working except for major health problems, had to have almost all of his colon removed two years ago because of colon cancer. This was his famous comeback to those who wanted something for nothing "If you have to ask the price I charge you can't aford me."
In the 70's when I baked and decorated cakes for the public, had a lady call and want one for her daughter's wedding, ask my price, I ask the size and number needed to serve and told her what I charged for a plain cake,extra for a really decorated and fancy one. My price at that time for what she needed was $125, plain.She said that was too much,and ask why I charged so much. Her DH was a locksmith, and I explained that he not only charged for the parts he used but also the labor and I thought he was too high. If she had car repairs they charged for parts and labor, and so did I. She said guessed she would have to check with someone else,and get back to me. I told her go ahead, but don't bother calling me back, because I wasn't interested in doing her cake.
Sometimes you just have to let people know that your time and effort are worth more than a "grain of salt" and they are paying for parts, labor and expertise. Let him look elsewhere for a quilter and really get to pay a lot more or get a very poor job done. Better yet, let him go out and buy one from a store that is made on an assembly line or made overseas where labor is cheap and so is the fabric.