Thread: HELP HELP HELP
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 07:11 AM
All Thumbs

Originally Posted by quilterfly
My sad story has a happy ending, in a way. When I first started hand-quilting I made a wedding quilt for my niece and hand-quilting with a hoop, no pins, no basting spray, just started in the center. Anyway I had a hugh leftover pouf of backing left at one edge, so in my feeble brain I thought I'd just make a pleat so it would look as though it was meant to be like that. Now, years later, my niece asked if I could do some repair on her quilt. The 'leftover' fabric was perfectly aged with the rest of the quilt, I was able to fix my mistake & make repairs with "vintage" fabric.
GREAT SAVE, quilterfly!

And Bearisgray, I love your drawn illustration. The old graph paper always works. Now as for pillowcasing--that is a new name to me. We here in Missouri call it enveloping. I have no problems with this method, however, I use it only on my 40x60 (or smaller) charity quilts and would never consider it for any bedsized quilt.

Leaving the batting extend a good half inch from the seam lines makes a full fake binding effect when one sews a half inch all the way around quilt (after you turn the quilt). See photo attached. Lately, I have been using a patterned stitch around outside of quilts at fake binding and it gives another look to everything.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-144181.jpe