Thread: Bernina 820?
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 07:18 AM
Candace

Originally Posted by All Thumbs
Coming from one who has emptied her billfold, may I say the 3 Berninas I own are well worth the dollars spent. Yes, Bernina sells the 830 without the embroidery feature BUT its number is 820. The machines are the same, it is just that the 830 has this extra large attachment for embroidery. Since I have no desire for machine embroidering, I elected to save a couple thousand+ and get the 820.

Yes, both machines are a bit touchy with their thread cutting mechanism but my experience is to utilize the automatic steps for cutter cleaning and vacuum under the plate at least once a week. I also was told to place just a drop of oil (small drop now) at the top of the bobbin casing about once a week. However, I sew some 4 hours a day at least 5 days a week so that makes a difference.

Since I wanted the larger throat for machine quilting and since I sew so many hours daily, I sold my 440QE to a friend. The 440QE is one super machine and should I ever want another machine, I would buy another one. It comes with a walking foot and I was able to learn free motion quilting easily upon it.

My third machine is the smaller 240(I think that its number) which is a workhorse in itself. My reasoning for it is lighter weight to carry to Project Linus sewing days and other Guild functions. I purchased a walking foot for it and it then does great for cross-hatching charity quilts.

In all my contacts with quilters and garment seamstresses, the Janome and Berninas have been their machines of choice. My best advice is go to a dealer (not fabric shops nor discount stores) and talk with them. Get the best machine you can afford and do not discount those machines traded in. Most dealers will give you warranties and classes, even for the trade-ins.

Also be aware of brand named machines that their companies have been sold and merchandise is not made as well as years earlier. If I am not mistaken, Singer and Phaff have changed.

Good luck and happy stitches. May your Aunt rest in peace and may you make many quilts in her honor.
Actually, that's not correct. The 830 is a different machine than the 820. It's not simply the 830 minus the embroidery function. If you look at the 2 machines side by side, their screens are different. The 830 besides having the embroidery capability also has more storage files(memory). The 830 has more stitches and directional stitching , 360 degree stitching, that the 820 does not. So, they are not the same machine minus the embroidery arm. Just clarifying here.