View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 11:37 AM
vintagemotif

Originally Posted by pastormarilyn
This is beautiful. Please tell me what size blocks did you use. I want to make a quilt like this for my brother. I need to know what size blocks and how many do you think I need for a queen size quilt. Another thing, why did you think they call this I spy? Thanks
I didn't follow a pattern; I just looked at the two quilts that I mentioned in my posts. My cut squares were 4 1/2x 4 1/2, finished 4x4. I first cut strips 4 1/2 wide and then cut them into squares. I arranged the square as to how I wanted them to look finished. I then sewed my half squares together (sew down the middle of a square and only used half of the square to make a new square). I then sewed four squares together to form a block, then sewed blocks to form rows, and rows together to form top. You just need to make enough blocks to cover the area the you want (divided the finish square size into the finish size to give you an idea of how many squares across and down, then multiple those numbers for total blocks). I like to guesstimate. I feel that the borders gives the quilt a finished clean look.

This was such a fun project; and yes, I'm even surprised I completed this in just a weekend. Have fun with your project!
That may not be the easiest way to do it, but it worked for me.