Thread: Chicken neck!
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Prism99
Power Poster

I have progressives for regular seeing. A few years ago I "splurged" on a pair of glasses specifically for computer work (which also work for piano playing and for sewing). At the time I thought this was an extravagant luxury; however, now that I have used them I *cannot* go back to regular glasses for near work. (I am very near-sighted with presbyopia, if that makes a difference.) When I forget and wear my regular glasses, especially for the computer, I soon develop problems with my neck from trying to see out of the bottom half of the glasses.

My last eye doctor said he had tried to get companies to make flip-up type glasses for computer work -- similar to the flip-up sunglasses you can clamp onto your regular eyeglasses. The prescription for the flip-ups would change the regular eyeglasses to near-work eyeglasses. This would be a lot less expensive than purchasing a second pair of eyeglasses, and much more convenient than always having to remember which pair of glasses you have on. (My computer is downstairs, and I am forever finding myself upstairs with the wrong pair of glasses on!) However, he said none of the companies was interested in the idea.