View Single Post
Old 12-17-2010, 11:59 PM
wanderingcreek

Originally Posted by pstoner
Originally Posted by Ladyjanedoe
The worst gift is nothing.
yeah, I have gotten that several times, and it stings worse when you have searched high and low, and bought them an expensive gift (which they have and still use frequently), and not even a thank you.
Before we were married my ex bought me little gifts all the time but after we got married the gift giving ended until the year his nephew was here for Christmas. It came up in conversation that I never got gifts from his uncle and I guess he talked to him about it. Must have made him feel bad becasue he went shopping that year. He bought this humungous wooden salad bowl on a stand with salad forks that are 2 ft long. We didn't entertain and with just the family for dinner it was waaaaaaaaaaaay to big. I used it once for my caesar salad when everyone was over and it maybe filled a quarter of it! After that it sat in a corner of my closet and has become a depository for all kinds of junk. In the years after that Christmas I never got another gift from him until he left and that was the best gift he could have given me.

When I was 14 I wanted a record player of my own so badly that was all I talked about for Christmas. There under the tree was a case, the kind the old record players came in and I was so excited. I ran right to it and was so disapointed when I opened the case up and found a typewriter. My other gift that year was a box of records to teach me how to type!

Boy, this thread has sure brought back memories of Christmases past. Merry Christmas to all and may this be the year where there are no bad gifts.