Thread: Darned Velcro!
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 02:04 AM
dutchie

I spent this afternoon making myself a new wallet. Got the pattern from the internet, grabbed some blues that were hanging about and whipped it together with only minor "unsewing." Only broke one needle because I wasn't paying attention. The finished product looked pretty darned good because I followed the directions to a T.

The very last instruction was "Give the wallet a final pressing and you're done." So I did and inadvertently ironed one half of the velcro patch. Melted the silly thing completely. Smeared melted black plastic across the face of the wallet.

I was SO mad I wanted to spit! I tried to peel the plastic glob from the fabric but they'd fused and were now one entity. I ended up stitching a new piece over the melted patch but there is no cure for the smear of black plastic. To say nothing of the black mess on the soleplate of my iron.

After a few choice words and a cup of coffee, I decided to use the wallet as is. It's the perfect size with the right number of card slots and cubbyholes for all the junk I carry around with me. I'll probably make another one or two tomorrow!

And ... I learned a very valuable lesson about velcro being intolerant of heat and thought I'd share that lesson with you. Don't iron your velcro!

Sue
who really DOES know that plastic melts when heated! The cats haven't stopped snickering.