View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 09:55 AM
Maia B

Long arms have 16-26" throats and sew fast, but are straight stitch only machines. Then there are mid arms, 9-12" throats which vome in straight stitch only like the Viking MegaQuilter, the Pfaff Grand Quilter, the Janome 1600, and Babylock Quilter's Choice Pro. The janome 6600, Elna 7300 Quilting Queen, Babylock Quest Plus (soon to be the Serenade, with some new features), and the Pfaff Smarter are all cousin machines, very similar, with 9" harp/throat, integrated dual feed (built-in walking foot), needle up-down, auto sew (without the foot pedal), and elongation and mirroring of stitches. Some have auto cut, some don't. Some don't have a free arm. They run $1000-1500 new right now. I have the Babylock Quest Plus and I'm very happy with it, but if I'd known about the Pfaff Smarter I would likely have bought that since it has auto-cut, 9mm stitches, low bobbin warning, electronic tension, and uses Pfaff feet. I don't know of anything with IDT for less than $1000. I won't ever be without it again!