View Single Post
Old 12-18-2010, 10:24 AM
Scissor Queen

Originally Posted by IrishNY
I have a Bernina that I love but want to buy a backup machine. I want to spend under $1000, so not top of the line but good quality (remember, I am used to a Bernina ;-) ).

Here's the catch - I don't care about lots of stitches, embroidery, etc. I want a great straight stitch, automatic tension, knee lift, needle up/down, feed dogs that can be dropped. I would love to have a warning about low bobbin thread, automatic thread cutter and self-threading but can live without one or all of these if I have to. And a wide throat space would be wonderful!

I've looked at the Janome 6600 but it seems like more machine than I want. The 6500 doesn't have the dual feed and I think I would like that.

I don't want a old machine - I know they are basic and well-built. I have a FW and love it but want a backup that stands up to sewing really fast because that's the way I sew.

I kind of want to trade off having a zillion extras on the machine for high quality basics. Does such a machine exist?

As you can tell, I am really confused about what's out there and I don't have time to check out every type of machine. If I could get a few suggestions from you experts, it would help tremendously. Thanks in advance! ;) ;-)
I doubt if you're going to find it all on one machine. If you want dual feed I think you'll want to look at the Janome 6600 or 7700 or the Pfaffs.

Other than that you pretty much need to go test drive and see what there is. Sort of like buying a car.