View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 01:04 AM
Sheila Elaine

In Oct 2010, my right hand got so bad that I was almost to tears every morning. If my right hand was over my face as I slept, it got cold & felt like it was on fire. It would wake me up, so I decided, this is time to do it. Ten years ago, I had testing to see if I had carpal tunnel syndrome, and yes more in right than left. I moved & gave up on having surgery until Nov 2010 and exactly a month ago went ahead. I'm so glad I did. Still having a little problems w/cutting with scissors, rotary cutter and working with heavy pans in my kitchen. I am so used to doing everything (I live alone), that it's second nature to grab my Iron skillet, or heavy metal pans. I'm trying to use the Microwave more & use lighter weight pans.

My incision is well healed & I just keep moving my hands every time I think about it, or if I'm sitting. I've done some sewing (my Husq Viking Designer II) does most of the straight sewing, just pulls it through by itself, so not much tugging that way. I've made a few of the pillowcases like Missouri Star Quilt Company has the Tutorial for Christmas. I tore the fabric instead of using scissors or rotary cutter & it works well. I had wanted to get triangles cut before the surgery, but since I didn't I am just sewing straight seams. I can do quilts for next Christmas. I haven't tried hand stitching yet, but I'm sure I could do it for a little while, but not long. Some folks I've heard say they have someone to do dishes & all their housework, but I don't have that luxury all the time.

If you are contemplating carpal tunnel surgery, ask your doctor & nurse lots of questions.