Thread: Hate binding...
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 08:33 AM
sunnycat

Originally Posted by katybob
Originally Posted by sunnycat
I go old school and pull the backing to the front. I've seen several tutorials for the correct way to do binding and I still don't understand the corners. It held me back from starting to quilt. Now I just do it how it's intuitive and natural to me, and am having fun.
Sunnycat -- I've done it this way on a couple of small quilts and my corners are a little messy. How do you do your corners?
I'm not good with words, but I hope I'll be able to explain it to you. I just finished up my latest project, or else I'd take a pic. Keep in mind I've only done 3 projects so far..

I leave 1" excess batting around all corners. I chose to parallel sides to start with. I fold the 1" in half, so the raw edge is now touching the quilt. It looks sort of like bias tape. I then fold it over the top of the quilt and pin it down. I sew my first two chosen sides from top of the quilt to bottom. Then I go back to my other two sides. This is when I do the corners. I do it exactly as before BUT when I get close to the edges, I unfold, and then turn in the corner to the fold, refold (so now the raw edges are tucked in), and then fold up against the quilt.

I was able to get a picture of the corner up close so you could see. I love the look. It looks even better when the thread is better coordinated with the fabric. I also prefer the stacked corners over mitered corners.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-145135.jpe