Thread: Sewing machines
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 10:29 AM
vicki reno

My advice is to get the best you can afford. By all means check out the repair shop as well as any other sources available to you. I got a relativily inexpensive one 2 years ago because I wanted more decorative stitches than my Bernina had for less money than a fancier Bernina would have been. I have a drop in bobbin and the whole thing is plastic and doesn't hold up well to the amount of sewing that I do. If you try to go too fast on a stright run, the bobbin pops out of palce and causes all sorts of headaches. I was using it as my primary machine because of the embroidery stitches but had to switch back to the Bernina. So don't settle for inexpensive. If it means holding off a while until you can upgrade, then do so. Bernina's mahines cn't be beat for dependability. I am not familar with the Bernette models, but love my 1080 to death. I have had it 10 or 12 years with minimum amount of fuss. Wish I coould afford to shell out for one other pricier models. But I am waiting and saving. Maybe one day.