Thread: Recycling?
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Rosyhf

I just had to share this with you. I am so proud of myself and so delighted with my new find.

It's cold here in florida and my neck seems to get a bit cold. I remembered a cashmere turtleneck that I put in a pin, because moths cut a couple holes in it.

I went ahead and cut the sweater all open. Then I cut out as wide a strip as I could from the front and back, just crazing the armholes and then cut accross the neck and then I had two nice wide squares.

I did the same with the arms. I then join one arm each to each of the body squares and then sewed those together.

I then folded this long piece in half and sewed accross both the ends and then all the way down, leaving a space to turn.

Oh, I steamed pressed the seams open before turning. I was scared to do it but the iron has a notch for wool, so I went for it and it steamed nice. I then steamed pressed on the outside and here it is on Pricilla. I knew that sculpture would come in handy some day lol.

Then I pulled out a sweater that I loved the colors but can't deal with the turtleneck. So I ran a yarn down the middle for the center and then I sewed down each side of the yarn, the I cut down the middle. The sewing will hold the stitches. I will then make two front ribbings and I will then have a cardigan. The pic came out overexposed for some reason but you can see the many colors. I love it.

oops, I didn't turn it, here you can see how long it is with just one wrap
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145419[/ATTACH]

Here with two wraps, you can see where the arm parts just tapered nicely for my scarf
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145420[/ATTACH]

cuttting down the middle of a sweater is called steeking.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]145421[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-145414.jpe   attachment-145415.jpe   attachment-145416.jpe