Thread: Newbie Question
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 09:47 PM
k_jupiter

Originally Posted by Away2me
Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
Also, if you have already sewn clothes you don't need to backstitch when quilting. You put one set of blocks in and sew then run the next set right behind it without a break.
Oh that's very helpful. I have not sewn clothes before. When I was small, I hand stitched quilting blocks with my great aunt. But until last week I'd never touched a sewing machine. I've self taught myself everything so far. In reading about using the machine I learned about back stitching and just assumed I had to do while quilting.

In practicing my 1/4 " seams on some square blocks, I thought it was annoying to back stitch! LOL :mrgreen:

Thank you all so much for the helpful tips. I am starting with a simple baby quilt. Hopefully I won't get too bogged down.
1/4 inch seams are a snap.

Take your new ruler there.. put it under the needle. Slowly lower the needle down so it hits the 1/4inch mark from the right edge of the ruler. swing the ruler around so it is parallel to the presser foot. put the presser foot down to hold the ruler in place. Take three or four strips of masking tape and tape alongside the ruler, one piece on top of the the other. You now have a mark for 1/4 inch from the needle. At this point, raise the presser foot, back off the needle, pull the ruler out. You now have an edge to run your fabric against, exactly 1/4 inch from the needle. Don't remove the tape until the top is finished.

we were (are?) beginners once. And terrified.

Good luck,

tim in san jose