View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 12:20 PM
mpspeedy

I have been a handquilter for hire. I am very fast in comparison to most non Amish people. I start my prices just for the quilting at $.10 a square inch. Then I charge additional for marking , binding etc. If I have to supply the back and batting I sell it to them at my cost. My best customer was a woman who owns a custom framing shop. She was also a musuem curator. She had inherited at least half a dozen tops from her grandmother. She didn't batt an eyelash at paying my prices.
Last year I made what ended up as two T shirt quilts for a couple. The majority of that was machine quilted but I had to put together the tops. Their son had gone to Harvard on a full scholarship for wrestling. The quilt was a real pain as they gave me t-sirts, sweatshirts and even wrestling shorts that they wanted included. When I handed them the bill the look on the woman's face was priceless. She wrote me out a check and her husband asked if he could refer me to his friens.
I have a feeling the other brother will be getting a quilt one of these days.
While I have no problem doing the quilting I don't think I would make a quilt from start to finish for anyone else unless it was wholecloth or another T shirt quilt. Piecing and tradional applique are not my thing.