View Single Post
Old 12-20-2010, 03:59 PM
butterflywing

Originally Posted by Lneal
Thanks for all the advice and comments. Hopefully this helps others who have wondered or felt the same way about this topic.

When I consider that I will have $400 in materials and then my time it doesn't seem so much after all. Really I do want to be fair to myself about my time and I will be hand quilting this king size quilt. You girls have helped me to look at this project in a better way. I am going to rethink this some more and not let myself feel so guilty. I would never pay that much for a quilt, but then again, I know how to make quilts.
if you're handquilting, then $800 is definitely not enough money. 3x the cost of materials ($400) is already $1200. that price would have included the time for machine quilting (although i don't agree that that's enough), but it certainly doesn't include the time spent for handquilting.

btw: i never understood how anyone can come up with a formula such as '3x the cost'. that doesn't take into consideration the hst, or inset triangles or 1" unfinished pieces. compare that to all squares or larger blocks or strips. the yardage costs may be the same, but the work is as different as night and day. how can they be judged by the same formula?