View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 04:13 PM
stitchofclass2

Oh, my! That is discouraging. However, at least now you know there was a problem and you will get it fixed. Sounds like this repair will fix more than one problem. Do you mind if I relate to you my story? Here goes.

We were all packed (the car) to leave at 3:00 a.m. to go to Wisc. When we travel I have a difficult time sleeping so I happened to be awake. It was still winter so I was surprised to hear what I thought was rain. Rain? I listened and it sounded like it was coming from the kitchen. (I was in our den) I leaned forward to look in the kitchen and a wall of water (don't know how I missed that) was pouring out of my kitchen ceiling. Yep! The toilet tank on the second floor cracked and broke open and there was an inch of water in the bathroom. I turned off the valved; woke up my DH; then ran for buckets; we started mopping and cleaning and some time later we had most of the water under control. That short time cost us over $10,000.00. Thank heavens for home owner's insurance. It ruined the kit ceiling and floor; it ruined the basement ceiling and carpet; it was pouring out of the light fixtures. Fortunately, I was up (and we were still home) because we saved our hard-wood floors. Our house is 90 years old. Couldn't believe my DH said we better get to bed we have to leave in an hour. Oh, my! Hope that makes you feel that you are not alone in these house hazards.