View Single Post
Old 12-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Marge L.

Originally Posted by thepolyparrot
I like Aurifil and King Tut about the same - I think the King Tut has more frequent color changes, and sometimes that's a factor. The Auriful that I've bought is a little more matte than the Tut - but really, they're both wonderful, strong threads and look beautiful on the surface of the quilt.

I like Bottom Line for bobbin thread, but I just bought generic bobbins pre-wound with a 70wt poly filament thread and that thread looks and acts exactly like Bottom Line in my machines and on the quilt. Really glossy and pretty and only $30 for a gross of bobbins. I quilted more heavily than I usually do and only used ten bobbins, so I think they have a lot more thre
on them than I can wind on the machine. I think I usually go
through 14-18 bobbins on a large quilt like this.
I don't have a long-arm - I'm using a 1947 Singer 15-91 for quilting. Superior recommends a size 14 topstitching needle with a domestic machine, but I used that on my last quilt and I got a LOT of skipped stitches. (One of the fabrics was of a tight weave like a good sheeting, so that may have been a culprit, too.)

But, I used a regular size 12 sharp needle on this one and if I have any skipped stitches on this quilt, I didn't notice them.

thepolyparrot--
Where do you buy your prewound bobbins? That seems so much cheaper than what I have been finding. Would like to know. Thanks. Marge L.