Old 12-21-2010, 06:30 PM
Belles.hold

Originally Posted by Corky
In March it is my turn to ask for Friendship Blocks from one of my quilt guilds.

I would like to have them all do a section of a bookshelf or bookcase. Using items such as books, planters, knick-knacks, etc.

I have been collecting pictures and ideas for a couple years.

Do any of you have (free or cheap!) pictures or patterns of book shelves or ideas you have done?

I need help with instructions for the blocks. Do I have them just do the blocks with a common background and then I put the "shelf" part on? Should the books be all the way to the front edge of the 'shelf' or back a bit? What about height and length? Help!!

I am sort of thinking of having them use selvedge edges for the book titles and using their own names for the authors? Or they can make up their own titles.

Doesn't that sound like fun?
:shock:
Here's two photos of the quilt I made for the retiring librarian at my daughter's school. I embroidered the names of the various programs she instituted at the school for book titles. One of the programs she started was "Reindeer Games", so I embroidered a reindeer on a stack of books.

The Librarian wrote me a thank you note and told me that when she came home from school, her husband went right out and purchased the necessary tools to hang the quilt (55" x 65") above the living room sofa. Her son came home from college and walking up the driveway, he thought they had purchased a bookcase and wondered why it was above the sofa!

However you design it, it will be appreciated. Belles

Book shelves for retiring librarian
[ATTACH=CONFIG]146615[/ATTACH]

close up
[ATTACH=CONFIG]146616[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-146610.jpe   attachment-146611.jpe