Old 12-21-2010, 08:56 PM
JanTx

Dear friend of my mother just last week wrote her family and friends telling them not to give her gifts and she wouldn't be giving them either. Said she was going to give the money she would spend to a charity. This lady is a great friend to my mother, but ... this is hard. She never has enjoyed Christmas - don't understand why - and is very outspoken about her views. Mother has already purchased a gift for this friend and is going to give it anyway - call it a New Years gift if necessary!

My mother and I are very conservative and pretty frugal - out of necessity - so we are seen as more .... correct? ... than her own family. So strange and so hard. Her family has not replied to her notice and her feelings are hurt.

So we're going to pick her up for Christmas Eve services and she'll spend Christmas day with my mom, my husband and me - our kids and their families will be with us that evening and the next day (that's how it worked out this year). We'll play games and enjoy a nice lunch. I hope the subject does not come up - I don't agree with her late notice or her choice to let these things come between her and her kids and their families.

I just want everyone to play nice and get along!

I'm glad you are finding a way to share your gifts and bring goodwill in spite of preferences, illnesses, etc. Share your lesson of love to all!