View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 04:45 AM
gypsyquilter

i'd like to ask your opinion on Merry Christmas versus Happy Holidays. I'm very respectful that people celebrate different holidays, have different religious views and have personal beliefs that make them who they are - that goodness for that as it makes the world an interesting place.

I am not a religious person, just someone who grew up celebrating Christmas as our december holiday. So, I'd like to ask is Merry Christmas offensive or is Happy Holidays offensive or, is neutralizing the holiday to a happy holiday really an insult to both parties since neither can feel free to express who they are.

what's a person to do?

Here's my thought. Those who are offended by someone giving them a wish of happiness or merriment should not be offended and just simply say "thank you". Wouldn't that be the good manners that our parents taught us?

I have a good friend who doesn't celebrate Christmas, before she became by good friend I wished her a Merry Christmas, and she said, thank you for the good wishes, I'm Jewish so I wish you a a happy Hanukkah. We both laughed, but the spirit of our good wishes for each other was not lost in the choice of what holiday one choose to celebrate.

what do you guys think?