View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 05:35 AM
clsurz

Friend or not business is business. The way to keep a good friend is to teach them to separate friendship with business. Just because they are a good friend does not mean you should give them a break on your price. My family and friends know this and they would not dare try and get me to do anything for them for less than what I would charge a total stranger.

On the other hand and speaking from experience in direct sales for many, many years I have learned that folks that feel bad or are unwilling to charge what they are worth for their services is due mostly because they would not pay that amount (whatever it is) themselves for that product and service.

A person will pay what they are willing to pay period and we need to get over feeling guilty for charging what we presume to be to much.

Using my experience in direct sales and giving quality customer service my fee was $30-35 an hour where as my counter parts for the most part would often accuse me of robbing others blind or that no one's time was worth that much to sell those products. Thing is I was year after year earning more money for same time they put in which allowed me to get a lot of rewards for my efforts beyond what my fee was for the services and they didn't.

There are still tons of folks out there who want quality work and quality customer service and if you can provide them with what they want they will pay top dollar for it.

Truthfully if I were to be commissioned to make a king size quilt no way would I do it for less that $1400 and as high as $2000.00. The person who commissioned me would have to put at least half of that amount down in cash before I even went shopping for the materials needed to create this project.

Those that are unwilling to pay for your service and work are not the type customers you want. You want to find those that have YOUR money in there pockets and willing to hand it over to you.

That is how I ran my business in direct sales for more than 30 years. I did not go after clients that did not have my money in there pockets. I sought out those that had money in there pockets.