View Single Post
Old 12-22-2010, 09:09 PM
plainjane

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
Originally Posted by plainjane
I needed to have a support for the bottom of "luggage" I made for Kylie (pics on another post). I went to the hardware store thinking I would buy plexi glass. It was $24 for what I needed-too expensive, so I started cruzing the isles for something. I found "Plastic Cardboard"! It is the "for sale" signs - not the solid thinner, flexible, plastic but literally looks like white plastic cardboard. I used the rotary cutter (I know, it was an old blade though:) ) and used extra pressure to cut it. I covered it with fabric and if it is soiled, it can easily be cleaned. It only cost $6 for what I needed. And did I mention it is very lightweight!
I can make a fairly substancial bottom by ironing craft backing to a couple layers of fabric. I try to cut it so that there's an "unbacked" border around the bottom pieces. The craft backing is pretty stiff, so a few thicknesses get to be hard to sew thru
When I'm in a time crunch for finishing, sometimes my brain just freezes! Craft backing - bought some! This is a good reason for reading as many posts as you can - you'll be armed with all kinds of GREAT info. Thanks all!