View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 07:57 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Surfergirl
Originally Posted by jdiane318
Joann's will be having a sale beginning December 30 and ALL THREAD IS 1/2 OFF thru January 2, 2011.
What is the best thread to buy? Cotton, polyester, Guterman's, Coats & Clarks? I began learning to quilt (self-taught, w/help from you all) this year and am still learning a lot about fabrics and threads. How many of you use the large cones of thread? I just ordered a thread stand from Connecting Threads and am considering trying the large cones.
Is the question: What's the best thread to buy?
Or: What's the best thread to buy at Joann's? :wink:

I find the best values in thread selection at Joann's are:

Coats & Clarks Cotton 1200yd #50 spools. They retail for $5/spool but are almost always on sale (40% or 50% off) or couponable (my word). They are a bit linty but you can't beat the price. I use this for piecing all the time. It's also great QAYG work - not the quilting, but the joining of the blocks.

Signature threads - my Joann's had a nice display of different variegated threads. I think there some poly, triglobal (?) or something like that, and cotton. The retail prices ranged from $5-$8, but I bought a bunch of the cotton spools when there was a BOGO. The cotton spool is 500 yds #40. I stocked up on Primary/Brights.

I don't do any embroidery so I can't speak about the rayons.

Connecting Threads cotton threads are a GREAT value, and I don't think you'll beat their prices on cones - especially if you've already invested in a thread stand.