View Single Post
Old 12-23-2010, 12:05 PM
lab fairy

I think the question is WHAT you are looking for in a machine? Are you looking to sew, embroider, etc.? Are you going to FMQ with this machine?

Every machine has good points and bad. I would test drive as many as possible and don't feel you have to buy a machine in one day. Is this a good dealer? Are there new owner classes (these can be a goldmine of information and help with your machine)? What is the warranty like? Where are repairs done? These can be really important and make me really think.

I specifically chose my machine for reasons other than quilting but it is the perfect "piecer". I refuse to buy any machine that requires me to attach a "walking foot" or buy the top of the line machine for that brand. If that brand makes machines with built in walking feet, why in the world would that feature only be available on the top of the line machine? I also think the throat space is important especially for FMQ but sewing other things as well. You might want to figure out the cost of accessory feet (and what is available).

Choosing a machine is complicated but so much fun. I wish you well.