Old 12-23-2010, 12:36 PM
Quilt Mom

[quote=BoJangles]
Originally Posted by chris_quilts
Found out what was wrong with other bobbin, poorly wound and 3 different thread colors on it. I realize that's being frugal but give me a break!

Ya know, the minute I get a vintage bobbin I start unwinding the thread. The thread is old and rotten anyway, I would never try to use it; but, it is amazing how the people of earlier times always wound several thread colors on one bobbin. They must of used the bobbins to use up spools of thread that were nearly empty. I have found up to 5 different threads on one bobbin!

Have a very Merry Christmas and a grand New Year everyone!

Nancy
Just a note on the several thread colors on a bobbin. When I was taught how to sew, Mom had a limited number of bobbins for the machine. When I needed a bobbin for a small project, we wound a different color thread on top of her color. Usually I used up the thread before she needed the bobbin color - mostly because I was determined to finish the project before giving up the machine! :lol: We were not allowed to waste thread. In fact, when taking apart a garment to resize it for the next child, we saved as much of the thread as possible.