View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 03:23 PM
JJs
Banned

Several months ago I found a broken Featherweight on Craigslist for $25 - and I mean BROKEN - broken gears, broken take up - and froze up big time. It's a 1939 (I kept telling Billy it was a '36, wrong, just looked it up - it's a '39).
Anyway, it also had the foot pedal, a raggedy case, a working motor, and most importantly, the bobbin case!
I had a line on some of the parts but the guy never came through (and it's a good thing, I'm 99.9% positive this machine will never sew again)...
so I figured I'd just have spare parts for my very nice '56 FW....
Then Billy posted this:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-81816-1.htm
and I thought, aha, it would be cool to put the two together and come up with a working machine - so I sent a check off to Billy post haste -
due to a comedy of errors, the machine finally showed up today - and the hardest part of getting everything going was getting the bobbin case base out of the froze up machine .... my DH finally had to help me by turning a frozen drive shaft with a pair of pliers for me! :mrgreen:
But in 3.5 hours I had a working SEWING, Featherweight...
She's not real pretty but I figure I'll use this one to drag around to guild, travelling etc etc... doubt too many would want to waltz off with her...
And for that reason I just decided that her name is Little Polly Flinders! :wink:
I took the good parts from the '39 and she looks a little better than from the original picture Billy posted....
And look at those pretty stitches! Thank heavens the timing etc is all good cause I'd have nooooooooooo clue :P
Attached Thumbnails attachment-147577.jpe   attachment-147578.jpe