View Single Post
Old 12-24-2010, 06:43 PM
EskapetheNorm

Originally Posted by sylviak
What kind of batting did you use? I just finished one for my DIL using her kids softball shirts and she wanted a high loft batting because she wants to sit under it at the games. First on I ever made and it was difficult to quilt. I think the batting might have been part of the problem (the quilter being the other part!).
I tried the iron-basting (poly) batting for this one. While it worked okay, I am not sure that I would use it again. A high loft batting would be tough ... the tee-shirts with their interfacing are kind of heavy to start with.

I also did a kind of hybrid-quilt as you go. I pieced each row, quilted it and then attached to the rest of the quilt. Bound it at the end. I tried three different methods and didn't find a single one that I didn't have to go back and re-do significant portions to make sure that all was securely attached.

I use flannel as the backing and while I love the softness ... the stretch is a pain. The iron-basting did better with this than safety pins. I want to try the spray-on basting next.