View Single Post
Old 11-01-2008, 04:17 PM
mpeters1200

Some places that NEED so many things for kids are Social Services. I live in Omaha and cities don't tend to have a shortage of kids in need. There is a budget for children taken into foster care and monies given to foster parents in some areas to cover Christmas expenses for the children. I belong to a group here that makes homemade stockings every year and gives them to Social Services. These are stockings that are given only to children taken during the holiday season. These are the unexpected surprises that homes get and sometimes they've already spent their Christmas budget and can't do more. There are also groups out there that donate things to put in the stockings, so we just donate stockings.

If you have a children's hospital or a cancer center in your area, you can also make smaller quilts for cancer patients, not just kids. Lap size is good or 3/4 twin size will fit a hospital bed very well. If you have a children's hospital in your area, they would love anything handmade for the kids. Quilts, stuffed animals, dolls, hats. My youngest son was in NICU when he was a newborn and I still have his bear, hat and booties. He got so small that one of the volunteers gave us a hat that came with a stuffed animal. It was the only thing we could put on his head that fit.

There are many, many organizations out there! For kids, women, families, healthy and ill, soldiers.

I have found numerous ways to help our military through quilting. If anyone wants those sites, you can feel free to PM me.