Old 12-25-2010, 05:55 AM
Maia B

I have a Babylock Quest Plus, for which I paid $1300 in October. LOVE it! It has a Pfaff-esque dual feed called PDQ, but it seems identical to the IDT. Have a look at it. It has a free-arm, unlike the Janome 6600, but it doesn't have autocut. It has a gajillion needle positions, so you should be able to achieve your perfect 1/4". I think the straight stitch feet and plate still work if it's just one increment off center. If I were buying today, I might go with the Pfaff Smarter C1100Pro (has freearm, autocut, low bobbin alert, 9mm stitch width) avail locally for $1600, or I might just wait for the Babylock Serenade, which is the upgrade of the Quest Plus. I don't know exactly when that's coming out, but it is supposed to have more stitches and maybe autocut. The dual feed on the Quest Plus works with 8 of my 16 feet. I think you should be able to get it for $1000 or less now, and try to get the workbook and the package of 9 extra feet included, there are still some of those out there. It doesn't take all other Babylock and Brother feet, though. My machine is fabulous, I'd only leave it for a bigger throat and MANY more stitches. I'm hooked on IDT now, too. Makes sewing easier and my results better. The Horizon has only 4 feet included that work with the Accufeed, which is wider. The Elna version of that is the 740 excellence, and it comes with only 1 accufeed foot. Dunno if wider is better or worse. Definitely test drive everything you can, bargain HARD, and go with the dealercth