View Single Post
Old 08-14-2007, 07:07 PM
B_RGuest

I have recently (actually just today) started getting into these forums. I've somehow missed seeing them before, but when I saw the picture of your mum's quilt - I just had to comment on them. The colors are just beautiful.

I would like to share a story with you about a quilt that I finished for someone else.

My Grandmother on my dad's side made all of her grandchildren quilts at some time or another. I have a sister that is 16 years younger than me, and when my grandma was working on her quilt she got sick and ended up having to go into a nursing home (she lived in Tennessee-my family lived in Michigan) Well I had recently gotten married when all of this happened and at the time I was living in California with my husband where he was stationed. My grandma gave my mom the quilt for someone to finish for my sister. I never heard anything about that. In the meantime, (after the birth of my first child- a girl)I started doing a lot of sewing for my daughter making little clothes and such. Well after 3 more children and a lot more experience (we were back in Michigan by this time) my sister was getting ready to graduate from college. My dad had passed away and my mothers house had caught fire when struck by lightning. I was helping my mom sort of some of her stuff that had survived the fire and was in the garage when she came across the quilt blocks They were kittens in baskets. She told me that my grandma had given it to her to have finished for my sister many years ago. By this time my sister was almost ready to graduate from college. I took the quilt home and finished it as a surprise for her graduation present. She cried when she opened it-she had thought it had burned up in the house fire before it was even finished. Quilts have always held a special place in the hearts of my family. This all happened several years ago-as I now live in Georgia (for 7 years) and have 3 granddaughters as well as 4 children.

Thank you again for sharing your story, and I'd like to see a picture of the quilt when you finish it.

Linda