Old 12-26-2010, 06:57 PM
mrspete

One of the most vivid memories at Christmastime is the year I got uppity. We were coal miner family. We had 'enough'. No one had plenty, we just had enough. I don't know what had Santa inspired to give me a watch. But I had my heart set on a 'Tina' doll. We would take the wish book and tear or cut out things we liked. So Tina was taped to the wall for me to dream about. Well, Christmas morning I woke with a bolt and knew Tina was waiting. I went in and opened my box. Mother made us all a big shoe box and covered it with paper, both the top and bottom and we reused it each year. But inside my box was a covered box and inside that little box was a clear plastic slipper looking like Cinderella's shoe. I'd never heard that story but it was sure pretty. On that slipper was a pretty wrist watch with a blue band. I could not tell time. Mother took it and sat it on the mantel and told me I could have it to wear when I learned to tell time. She had a harsh hand with instructing me and I just could not tell time, even in the third grade. So, my grandma sang me a ditty. five, ten. fifteen, twenty, count with me and be my honey. five ten, fifteen, twenty. I got the rhythum and sang with her. I was in the floor playing jacks when she asked me to bring her the button box. I did and she counted out five buttons and asked me to make bunches of five. So that began my learning to tell time. I don't remember anything else that year except my Grandma Kincaid, who could tell fortunes and see spirits (rolling eyes, here) spending all her time teaching me the fives so I could learn to tell time. I think by a day or so I was in business, but mom would take me to another room and quiz me. When I finally found out what Cinderella was, it really seamed enchanting that I had her slipper. Mother was so oddly religious that everything that didnt pertain to the Bible had to be sinful. Memories, boy what a trip. Thanks y'all.