View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 08:12 PM
Ps 150

Originally Posted by Prism99
Whip stitching is not typical for hand piecing, although it is often used for piecing Grandmother's Flower Garden, especially when papers are used for that pattern.

What is typically used for hand piecing is a simple running stitch. Pin both ends, then "rock" the fabric and needle to pile stitches on the needle before pulling the thread through. Gently smooth out the fabric along the thread before fastening the thread (and on long seams, fasten the thread periodically, not just at the end). Only a single thread is used for this kind of piecing. A backstitch at the beginning and end are used to secure the thread. Unlike machine piecing, you start and stop at the 1/4-inch point (you do not sew to the edges of the pieces). At those points you can fasten thread and continue on to the next piece without snipping.

Jinny Beyer had a video out many years ago that demonstrated her fast hand piecing method. Basically she rocked the fabric onto the needle point very fast, and just "eyeballed" the 1/4-inch seam lines. She said it was faster to go back and adjust an occasional seam later than it was to mark all the 1/4-inch lines on all of the pieces before sewing.
Thanks! I meant that I whip stitch the bindings down when I hand stitch my bindings and that is so much different than the running stitches. After three hours of hand stitching this afternoon I think I started to get the hang of it when I was done. :lol: I've never heard of Jinny Beyer but I'll look her up on YouTube. I think I was putting too many stitches on one needle at once and I wasn't rocking but just feeding the needle through the fabric layers. Thanks!