View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 06:18 AM
quiltmom04

Originally Posted by Fancy Nancy
hear a lot about "quilt police". just wondering, who actually makes the quilting "rules". I have a lot of books on quilting by various authors and there are sometimes different methods given. it bugs me b/c when our ancestors made quilts - the pioneer women etc, they didn't appear to follow "rules" and we never say they did it wrong. so who actually has the right to suddenly make rules on how things have to be done. is their a quilting law book or something? if i want all my seams to be 1/3" rather than 1/4" what does it matter? as long as all the seams are the same size? maybe it just the baby boomer in me but i sometimes resent having to follow all the "rules" that are made by so called quilting experts.
Soryy, no real police! But when other quilters say something "should" be done one way or another, I suspect it's becasue it's the "way it's always been done". I'm sure using a template was radical at some point, and then using a rotary cutter, now the GO!. But other things like 1/4" seams are there becasue most people find that easiest to use, and it gives quilters a common measurement when following patterns. But if 1/3" suits you better - go for it!