View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 03:17 PM
sherriequilts

Originally Posted by Mpark
I don't have any stash so I will be buying fabric for my quilt. I don't want to do just a crazy or rag quilt (although they are pretty too). What block patterns would be easy for a beginner, but be something I would be proud to show? Is the Log cabin hard? I would prefer not to have too many different colors, but more than 2. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
I love Log Cabin quilts and it is fun to play with the layouts, getting different patterns. However, to have contrast between light and dark it is necessary to have quite a few fabrics of each (at least 3 to 5 of each plus the center square. Rail Fence is also a very good pattern for the newbie to quilting. It provides a great opportunity to master the l/4 inch seam! An accurate l/4 inch seam is absolutely vital later on when you have progressed to flying geese and star points. Took me forever to get that. I have to move my needle even though I use a l/4 inch foot on my machine. Go for it and glad you are here. We are here to answer your questions and give our humble opinions! Happy Quilting and Happy New Year.