Old 12-27-2010, 09:36 PM
sueisallaboutquilts
Power Poster

Originally Posted by alimaui
Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
I totally disagree. Yes, I have my own taste but I accept gifts graciously b/c of the thought and time/work, whatever went into the decision to give me something.
My MIL has the worst taste of anyone I've ever known!! Over the years she has given all of us absolutely nothing we would ever want or use and that includes my DH (her son) me, and our 3 kids.
We would never let her know b/c it gives her great joy to shop, wrap etc.
It doesn't matter in the long run. We'd rather see her happy. The stuff goes to Goodwill and places like that. She is none the wiser.

And yet people here complain when the quilt gets put in the goodwill pile? What will maw maw think when she finds out?

I do agree, that all gifts should be accepted with gratitute. But you cannot feign excitement. And I can think of many ways to help maw maw in her shopping habits if these gifts are truly detestable.
My MIL never made gifts. She bought things, still does. She SEES our home, clothes etc, but has a mind of her own about shopping!
If she made quilts that would be a different story. But I guarantee her fabric choices would match her other choices!! lol I would NEVER give a quilt to Goodwill if she made one.
Frankly, she's bought so much for so many over the years I doubt she keeps track of who got what.(5 kids, 16 grands)
She's never once asked anyone where is the sweater, vase, etc.