View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 06:09 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

I always brine my bird. It makes for the moistest most tender turkey you have ever sunk your teeth into. Here is my favorite brine recipe. I got it off of cookinglight.com

Here is what they say about it....

"Brining makes for a juicier bird, and the subtle flavors of the brine soak into the turkey. Kosher salt works well for the brine because it dissolves more easily than table salt. If you have time and refrigerator space, the brining procedure is worthwhile. If not, the turkey will still be quite good."

Here is the brine recipe:
Ingredients
BRINE:
8 quarts water
3/4 cup kosher salt
3/4 cup maple syrup
3 tablespoons black peppercorns
8 garlic cloves, crushed
1 lemon, thinly sliced

Preparation
To prepare brine, combine first 6 ingredients in a large stockpot, stirring until salt dissolves.
To prepare turkey, remove and reserve giblets and neck from turkey. Rinse turkey with cold water; pat dry. Trim excess fat. Add turkey to pot, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate 24 hours, turning occasionally.

I have made this every year since the recipe first appeared in Cooking Light magazine (probably around 7 years ago). I roast the bird in a slow oven as well. Usually around 325. Try this you won't be disappointed. I also use less salt then the recipe calls for. Between 1/4 and 1/2 cup because I don't have a stock pot big enough to hold the bird and 8 quarts of water. So I use less water and less salt but keep all the other ingredients the same amount. I usually do any where from 12 to 14lb turkey